Google appeals search monopoly ruling, says it won business ‘fair and square’ | The Verge
Overview
Tech Expand Amazon Apple Facebook Google Microsoft Samsung Business See all tech
Reviews Expand Smart Home Reviews Phone Reviews Tablet Reviews Headphone Reviews See all reviews
Details
Science Expand Space Energy Environment Health See all science
Entertainment Expand TV Shows Movies Audio See all entertainment
Policy Expand Antitrust Politics Law Security See all policy
Gadgets Expand Laptops Phones TVs Headphones Speakers Wearables See all gadgets
Verge Shopping Expand Buying Guides Deals Gift Guides See all shopping
Streaming Expand Disney HBONetflix You Tube Creators See all streaming
Transportation Expand Electric Cars Autonomous Cars Ride-sharing Scooters See all transportation
Policy Close Policy Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed. Follow Follow See All Policy
Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed.
Tech Close Tech Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed. Follow Follow See All Tech
Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed.
Antitrust Close Antitrust Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed. Follow Follow See All Antitrust
Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed.
Google appeals search monopoly ruling, says it won business ‘fair and square’
It wants to throw out the original decision, as well as an order to share data with rivals.
It wants to throw out the original decision, as well as an order to share data with rivals.
Posts from this author will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed.
Posts from this author will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed.
Google officially filed its appeal of the federal ruling deeming it an illegal search monopolist, arguing the decision “crashed” through legal guardrails. “Google just prevailed in the marketplace fair and square,” it writes in its legal filing.
Google had already said it would appeal the ruling, which includes both the August 2024 decision about its illegal monopolization and the September 2025 remedies decision that ordered it to share some search data with competitors. The appeal brief filed Friday gives more insight into how the company plans to fight Judge Amit Mehta’s ruling.
“We are asking the court to overturn this flawed decision – partners and users have many options and choose Google because it provides the best, most helpful results,” Google VP of regulatory affairs Lee-Anne Mulholland said in a statement.
“Google just prevailed in the marketplace fair and square”
Google argues that Mehta erred in finding that its search distribution agreements with browser and device makers were anticompetitive. Instead, it argues, other market players simply preferred its services over rivals’. Mehta also “egregiously exceeded” his judicial discretion in the remedies he ordered, according to Google, which included the “extraordinary step of ordering Google to boost its competitors through data-transfer and syndication.” The company also takes issue with how the remedies require data sharing with generative AI players that it says “could not have been affected by Google’s conduct because they did not even exist during the relevant period, and that are already succeeding as wildly as any technology in human history without any need to free-ride on Google’s success.”
The US and a coalition of states that sued alongside it are also appealing the same decision, arguing that Mehta should have gone further in his remedies decision. Mehta declined to grant the government its biggest asks, including a sale of Google’s Chrome browser, which it argues is a key distribution platform for search offerings. The government argued that a broad sweep of changes was necessary to resolve Google’s harms to competition.
About five years since the initial case was filed, It’s now up to a federal appeals court in DC to determine what should happen next. From there, the case could eventually go all the way up to the Supreme Court.
Lauren Feiner Close Lauren Feiner Senior Policy Reporter Posts from this author will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed. Follow Follow See All by Lauren Feiner
Posts from this author will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed.
Antitrust Close Antitrust Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed. Follow Follow See All Antitrust
Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed.
Google Close Google Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed. Follow Follow See All Google
Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed.
Policy Close Policy Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed. Follow Follow See All Policy
Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed.
Tech Close Tech Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed. Follow Follow See All Tech
Posts from this topic will be added to your daily email digest and your homepage feed.
More in: US v. Google: all the news from the search antitrust showdown
‘Fuck you, Bambu’: How one private message could change the face of 3D printing
The new Flipper One is a pocket-sized Linux computer
Anker’s new earbuds have the best call quality I’ve ever heard
Key Takeaways
- Tech Expand Amazon Apple Facebook Google Microsoft Samsung Business See all tech
- Reviews Expand Smart Home Reviews Phone Reviews Tablet Reviews Headphone Reviews See all reviews
- Science Expand Space Energy Environment Health See all science
- Entertainment Expand TV Shows Movies Audio See all entertainment
- Policy Expand Antitrust Politics Law Security See all policy



